Families are Forever

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Homemade Brecheisen Bread

Yup...
bloggin 'bout food again. What else does a pregnant girl got to blog about? How I go through my baby clothes daily and picture my baby wearing them? More comments about people not believing im only 7 months along?
nah. just food.
I feel so accomplished because I made this recipe up all by myself. It's not dense like other breads I've made. And it makes my house smell just wonderful. Didnt really have that with the others.
The measurements are weird but I'm just typin down what I threw in. If ya dont like it, don't make it. This makes one loaf.
1 1/8 C. Hot water
1/6 C. Oil (so, I'd take a 1/3 measuring cup...and fill it halfway)
1/12 C. Honey (take a 1/3 measuring cup...and fill it a fourth of the way)
2 tsp. Salt
2 TBSP Sugar
1 TBSP dry active yeast
Mix with a wooden spoon (kinda whip it up fast) so the honey gets broken up. Let sit for about 2-3 minutes, then add:
1/12 C. Liquid Lecithin
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/6 C. vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp. Vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar, but you can use whatever)
2 C. BREAD flour, not all purpose flour
1/2 C. Wheat flour

Then I just mix it all up with my trusty pampered chef wooden spoon (which was a lovely wedding gift from Melinda and Jeremie!) until it all seems to be mixed together. Then I start hand kneading, adding flour to my hands over and over until it doesn't stick to my hands anymore. Form the dough into a little loaf, and place in bread pan. I let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. You can throw a dry towel over it if you want, but i just leave it uncovered so i can watch it grow. Once the size has doubled I put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. It gets even bigger in the oven!!
I'm sure a few of those measurements could be translated into tablespoons, but I really don't feel like figuring that out. If you feel like it, let me know ;)

1 comment:

Melinda B. said...

Speaking of baby clothes...do you have alot already? Is there a size in particular you have less of? I'm currently listing stuff on ebay, but have alot more to go through.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers