Families are Forever

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

BEEP

So Josh and I met with the bishop tonight and we talked for about an hour, just getting to know each other. Josh proceeds to tell the bishop about the lemon car we bought from a shady dealer, with a shot transmission that we had to shell out an extra 2,000 for from our savings. Josh words it like this "Well we bought a car from this salesman in Salt Lake and we got totally shhhhhhheisted in the deal." (which is the sh** word in German)....not a big deal cuz we Americans say "Shizah" all the time, right??

Well our Bishop moved to America when he was in his twenties...from Germany. And can say our last name more properly than we can.
The look on his face was HILARIOUS. So shocked. He was like, "Oh OK."
Josh didn't even realized til I hit him on the arm. Oh man, did he apologize up and down trying to explain that Americans use it in every day language as slang, not profanity. And that he should know better, he took 5 years of German, his family had a German boy come stay with them for a year, and his little brother Chris is currently on a mission there right now. I think that the bishop understood, but think if you moved to Germany and became a bishop and someone came in and said the word "shi$" in your office?? hahahaha I don't think I'll ever let him live it down. We laughed pretty hard about it on the way home. And I told him I'm totally gunna blog about it, and her I am.

7 comments:

Ang and Shawn said...

hahaha oh my gosh. That's hilarious!

Cammie said...

That is awesome!! Haha!!

Katie said...

hehehehe that's great... wat to go Josh! Too funny!!!! My brother always says that word in Argentina Spanish (which really is different from regular Spanish haha) and that is just too funny.

I took German, and we were playing a game in class and had to use a different adjective to describe objects. Whoever could come up with a different adjective than anyone else in the class would win. It was my turn... I couldn't think of anything other than Schissty haha.... and I said it. My teacher laughed so hard... then corrected me on how to actually pronounce it and I ended up winning. Anyway.... that totally cracks me up.

Chelsee said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA classic. So great.

Waiting in the Wilderness said...

Don't tell Theresa...haha...but Chris said he always uses borderline profanity in German, bc it doesn't seem like actual swearing to him. I was like Chris! The people around you DO think it is swearing! geez! haha. They are both such dorks!

Daniel & Shandi said...

haha..super funny. wow..what a great moment.

Ashleigh said...

hahahaha classic. and awkward! i love it!

i didn't even know that was a swear word in german. i probably would have made it even more awkward by asking what was wrong. LOL.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers